Pages

Thursday 17 November 2011

Fancy Lounges



We have a problem with H. He’s beginning to take things for granted. I guess it is to be expected, the way he lives. When you say “Jump” and a room full of people say, “How high? Is this high enough? Should we run out and get a trampoline?”  well, I guess you get used to it pretty quickly.

The worrying thing is that it will rub off on the Minis. In fact, it’s already happened. Last month when we were visiting my family, my mother dryly noted that TC screams, “Taxi!” and lifts her arm every time she sees a car.

Yes, it’s a different sort of life we lead.

But this morning I decided he’s really gone off his rocker. We’re off for a 3-day trip without the girls (who are in the very capable hands of their “people”) and the airport limo took forever to get to the airport. Seriously, who drives down Shaftsbury Avenue?

Anyhoo, by the time we got to the airport, I was nearly chomping at the bit. As we stood there, waiting for the agent to get our boarding passes, Fancy here was moving left and right, rocking on her heels, pale and sweaty with anxiety.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” H asked. “We’ve got plenty of time. We’re not going to miss the flight.”

“Nooooo,” I whined. “I want to get to the lounge. I’m barely going to have any time in the lounge!”

“Oh, for fuck’s sake. You have to get over this lounge thing. It’s stupid,” he chastised.

Really? Really? He wants me to “get over” my excitement about spending an hour or two in the lounge, drinking champagne at a time normally reserved for Cheerios, stuffing my pockets full of the complimentary candy and biscuits, nibbling from a plate of three different kinds of smoked salmon, shoving free copies of the Daily Mail and Heat into my bag?

I think we can all agree that if he thinks about it, the last thing he would ever want is to see me the day the lounge is no longer a fun treat. I’m sure that day is coming, but for now I would think he’d be grateful that his wife is not yet that Fancy.

Grateful. And probably embarrassed to be seen with me. My behaviour in airport lounges is sort of ridiculous. But can you blame me? 

10 comments:

  1. I can't imagine that day will ever come.

    BUT, on the off chance it does, I'll be happy to come and give you a slap (only because it means I'll have to go into the lounge :) ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you save any cookies for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a very healthy attitude towards use of the lounge. Nothing to be embarrassed of at all.
    I cried the day my lounge pass expired because it was no longer necessary since I married a farmer and never had any hope of every going anywhere nice or in any style ever again. The stupid things we do for love....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to imagine, fancy, that you are friends with Gwyneth Paltrow. Just because. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love airport lounges. Best one ever? Virgin's lounge at Heathrow. I just want to move in...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could vacation in the lounge for a three day weekend. Why fly?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm seriously going to write letters asking for lifetime memberships. It's not fair that I could one day be excluded when we retire...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll stick my face out the door and let you have at it. :-)

    ReplyDelete